Joan Winifred » Blog Archives

Tag Archives: science & spirituality

Joan Winifred science & spirituality

cycles of rain (in due season)

The Bible states: “[God] draws up the drops of water; they condense into rain from his mist; then the clouds pour it down.”—Job 36:27, 28.

Here the Bible describes the three main steps of the hydrologic cycle. God—the Source of solar heat—“draws up the drops of water” by (1) evaporation. Then, by means of (2) condensation, the uplifted water vapor forms clouds that pour water down as rain or some other form of (3) precipitation. Even now, meteorologists do not fully understand all the details of the phenomenon of rain. Interestingly, the Bible asks: “Can anyone understand the layers of clouds?” (Job 36:29) The Creator, however, does understand the rain cycle and saw to it that a human writer would include the facts accurately in the Bible. And he did this long before men could explain the basic process scientifically. [excerpted reading The Bible–Accurate in All Respects Awake! No. 3 2017]

6/21/17 @12:49 p.m.

Published by:
Breathing-Fragile-Life God Joan Winifred justice logic respect science & spirituality

Biomimi”cry”

for “cry”-ing out loud;)

“Living things have done everything we want to do, without guzzling fossil fuel, polluting the planet, or mortgaging their future.” [Notes the book Biomimicry—Innovation Inspired by Nature]

Some years ago, a man well-versed in evolution interviewed people who accepted the theory. He said: “I discovered that most believers of evolution are believers because they have been told that all intelligent people are believers.” Yes, when educated individuals express their atheistic views, others are dissuaded from giving God the credit he deserves as the Creator.—Proverbs 14:15, 18.

Have scientists come to their conclusions because facts and evidence point that way? Hardly! We are surrounded by evidence of a Creator. Regarding him, the apostle Paul wrote: “His invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s [mankind’s] creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they [unbelievers] are inexcusable.” (Romans 1:20) The Creator left his imprint on his handiwork. Paul is thus saying that from the start of mankind’s existence, it has been possible for humans to ‘perceive’ evidence of God’s existence by means of the visible creation. Where is this evidence?

hmmm…evidence:

We see evidence of God in the starry heavens. “The heavens are declaring the glory of God,” says Psalm 19:1. “The heavens”—the sun, moon, and stars—testify to God’s power and wisdom. The sheer number of stars fills us with awe. And all these heavenly bodies move through space, not aimlessly, but according to precise physical laws. (Isaiah 40:26:

“Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.

Who has created these things?

It is the One who brings out their army by number;

He calls them all by name.

Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,

Not one of them is missing”)

Is it reasonable to attribute such order to blind chance? Significantly, many scientists say that the universe had a sudden beginning. Explaining the implications of this, one professor wrote: “A universe that eternally existed is much more congenial to an atheistic or agnostic [view]. By the same token, a universe that began seems to demand a first cause; for who could imagine such an effect without a sufficient cause?”

Do hard heads need hard hats?? 🙂

We also see on the earth evidence of God. The psalmist exclaimed: “How many your works are, O Jehovah! All of them in wisdom you have made. The earth is full of your productions.” (Psalm 104:24) Jehovah’s “productions,” including the animal creation, bespeak his wisdom. […], the design of living things is such that scientists often seek to mimic it. Consider a few other examples. Researchers are studying antlers, with the goal of building stronger helmets; they are looking at a species of fly that has acute hearing, with a view toward improving hearing aids; and they are examining the wing feathers of owls, with the idea of improving stealth airplanes.

Did i realize my heart has eyes??:)

Whether you look at the heavens above or gaze at creation right here on earth, the evidence of a Creator is clear. (Jeremiah 10:12) We should heartily agree with the heavenly creatures who cry out: “You are worthy, Jehovah, even our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things.” (Revelation 4:11) Yet, many scientists fail to see the evidence with ‘the eyes of their heart,’ even though they may marvel at the design in things they see with the eyes of their body. (Ephesians 1:18) We can illustrate it this way: To admire the beauty and design in nature and deny the existence of a Great Designer is as illogical as admiring a magnificent painting and at the same time denying the existence of the artist who transformed a blank canvas into a masterpiece. (my highlights …excerpted readings: Who are Giving God Glory Today? w 2004)

oh Yeah, i may be a nobody...but these words You are reading right now needed somebody to type, huh?!:)

3/22/17 @ 11:57 a.m.

Published by:
Joan Winifred knowledge language literacy science & spirituality universe

Living AT the Library (literally)!

“Man’s search for meaning is the primary motivation in his life,” said Viktor Frankl

School lets out soon…so begins our Summer (schooling) at the Library 5 days a week…(give or take a few). We are at the library (learning regularly throughout the year (literally & otherwise)). However, when so-called “regular” aka “public” school finishes for the year…we’re there (at our local library) supporting various programs, etc.

Speaking of libraries…our “cells are living libraries.” Did You realize? “The information in a bacterial cell would fill a 1,000-page book.” (Have You read a 1,000 page book lately?!)…(Uh-huh!)

How do cells use information? Think of DNA as a collection of recipes, each one involving step-by-step processes, with each step carefully scripted in precise terms. But instead of the end result being a cake or a cookie, it might be a cabbage or a cow. In living cells, of course, the processes are fully automated, adding yet another layer of complexity and sophistication.

Genetic information is stored until it is needed, perhaps to replace worn out or diseased cells with healthy new ones or to pass on traits to offspring. […]Consider one of the smallest organisms, bacteria. German scientist Bernd-Olaf Küppers stated: “Carried over to the realm of human language, the molecular text describing the construction of a bacterial cell would be about the size of a thousand-page book.” For good reason, chemistry professor David Deamer wrote: “One is struck by the complexity of even the simplest form of life.” How does the genome of a human compare? “[It] would fill a library of several thousand volumes,” says Küppers. (excerpted: Your Cells Living Libraries Awake! August 2015–my highlights)

Speaking MGL…

To describe the writing in DNA as “molecular-genetic language” is more than “mere metaphor,” says Küppers. “Like human language,” he points out, “the molecular-genetic language also possesses a syntactic dimension.” Put simply, DNA has a “grammar,” or set of rules, that strictly regulates how its instructions are composed and carried out. (excerpted: Your Cells Living Libraries Awake! August 2015–my highlights)

Intelligence is out there, eh?..(and grammar, too?)..of course, joanie.

People attribute information to intelligence, whether that information is in the form of symbols on clay or signals from space. They do not need to see the information being created to draw that conclusion. Yet, when the most sophisticated code known to man—the chemical code of life—was discovered, many shoved that logic aside, attributing DNA to mindless processes. Is that reasonable? Is it consistent? Is it scientific? A number of respected scientists say no.

Professor Yan-Der Hsuuw is the director of embryo research at Taiwan’s National Pingtung University of Science and Technology. He too once believed in evolution—until his research led him to conclude otherwise. Regarding cell division and specialization, he said: “The right cells must be produced in the right order and at the right places. First they assemble into tissues that will in turn assemble themselves into organs and limbs. What engineer can even dream of writing instructions for such a process? Yet the instructions for embryo development are superbly written in DNA. When I consider the beauty of it all, I’m convinced that life was designed by God.” (excerpted: Your Cells Living Libraries Awake! August 2015–my highlights)

There are theories…then there are NOT theories:

What qualifies a theory as a scientific theory? According to the Encyclopedia of Scientific Principles, Laws, and Theories, a scientific theory, such as Albert Einstein’s theory of gravity, must

  1. Be observable
  2. Be reproducible by controlled experiments
  3. Make accurate predictions

In that light, where does evolution stand?  Its operation cannot be observed. It cannot be reproduced. And it cannot make accurate predictions. Can evolution even be considered a scientific hypothesis? The same encyclopedia defines a hypothesis as “a more tentative observation of facts [than a theory],” yet lends itself “to deductions that can be experimentally tested.” (excerpted: Your Cells Living Libraries Awake! August 2015–my highlights)

As a person preferring poetry (and alliteration;)…(Is happy living, happy loving reading?)

“Your eyes even saw me as an embryo; all its parts were written in your book.” (Psalm (song) 139:16)

Of course, David  was using poetic language (i.e. DNA). Nevertheless, in principle, he was right on the mark, which is typical of the Bible writers. None were even slightly influenced by the fanciful folklore or mythology of other ancient peoples. (excerpted: Your Cells Living Libraries Awake! August 2015)

Makes me ask: Evolutionists…are they slightly influenced by the fanciful?!

(DNA–a space oddity?/God’s (superlatively intelligent) “poetic” living language!)

Looks like we all live at the library, huh? 🙂

(published 5/30/15 @ 10:34 a.m.)

Published by:
Joan Winifred science & spirituality

The Scientifically & Spiritually Affected Life (aka me)

Science has affected my life! (Would it be ignorant and arrogant to say otherwise?…to say: NO! science has not affected me whatsoever?? Wouldn’t you think i’m totally clueless/full of nonsense/an idiot to admit: “Science” has had no impact/affect on me and my life??)

 Do you use a cell phone, a computer, or the Internet? Have you seen that your health has improved or has been restored because of advanced medicine? Do you travel by airplane? If so, you are benefiting from some of the ways in which science has been a boon to humanity. Science has affected your life in many positive ways. (excerpted: How Science Affects Your Life)

As a reader of my blog(s) 1 thing You’ve come to learn about me: i tend to be “spiritually” minded.  Yes, an “awake” believer/see-er..not into/not talking (traditional) credulity. Any “faith” i possess is well-thoroughly-researched and well-thoroughly-evidenced! (My spirituality is a work-in-progress..as-am-i.) Can say the same about my science side…(scientific) view of things…a work in progress. Obviously, i enJOY spiritual writings/readings…blogging about those kinds of topics vs. dryer/staler/stuffy stuff. In my view–where science has its limits…spirituality is l~i~m~i~t~l~e~s~s. What i’m trying to express is this: i find true/accurate science and true/accurate spirituality (aka what the Bible really teaches not man-made dogma) harmonize…and are complementary and necessary for a balanced (and broader) view/understanding of things/life.

(Would it be arrogant for any scientist to completely dismiss spirituality?)

My mind gobbled up the following points (from an article(s) read) that i found VERY attention-grabbing: (my bolded highlights)

In recent times, a number of books setting out the views of the so-called new atheists have come into circulation. These publications have caught the attention of many and have brought about no little discussion and debate. Regarding this, neuroscientist David Eagleman wrote: “Some readers walk away . . . with the impression that scientists think they have the big picture solved.” Then he added: “But good science is always open-minded, and the history of science is one of surprises.”

Down through the ages, talented scientists have indeed made surprising breakthroughs in their search for answers to puzzling questions about nature. Some, however, have also made serious errors in the process. […]

Today scientists face similar challenges in their pursuits. Will they ever find a complete explanation of the universe? While it is proper to acknowledge the progress science has made and the benefits it has brought us, it is also essential to bear in mind its limitations. Physicist Paul Davies observed: “The search for a closed logical scheme that provides a complete and self-consistent explanation for everything is doomed to failure.” Those words state an undeniable truth: Humans cannot completely understand the natural world. So when assertions are made about the potential of science to provide an explanation of everything that exists, it is only reasonable to take such assertions with reservations. (Excerpted: Science has its limitations w June 2015)

What examples do we have to consider…regarding limitations of Science?

Professor Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal of Great Britain, wrote: “There may be things that humans will never understand.” The truth is that much of nature, from the tiny cell to the vast universe, still remains beyond the grasp of modern science. Note the following examples:

Biologists do not fully understand the processes that take place in living cells. How cells consume energy, how they produce proteins, and how they divide are questions science has not yet completely answered.

Gravity affects us every second of every day. Yet it is something of a mystery to physicists. They do not know fully how gravity pulls you down to the ground when you jump or how it keeps the moon in orbit around the earth.

Cosmologists estimate that about 95 percent of what makes up the universe is invisible and undetectable by scientific instruments. They divide this strange entity into two categories, dark matter and dark energy. The nature of these remains unknown. (excerpts: How Science Affects Your Life w June 2015)

Great question posed in the above-article: Will science replace the Bible? check it out: (my highlights)

So if you wonder whether science is about to replace the Bible and dispense with belief in God, consider this point: If brilliant scientists with their powerful instruments have been able to gain only limited understanding of the natural world, would it be logical to dismiss out of hand the matters that lie beyond the reaches of science to investigate? Quite to the point, at the end of a lengthy article on the history and development of astronomy, Encyclopedia Britannica concludes: “After almost 4,000 years of astronomy, the universe is no less strange than it must have seemed to the Babylonians.

Three examples of what the Bible teaches that science does not:

  • Crime Prevention

Have regard for life

“You must not murder.”—Exodus 20:13.

“Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer.”—1 John 3:15.

Make and keep peace

“Turn away from what is bad and do what is good; seek peace and pursue it.”—Psalm 34:14.

“The fruit of righteousness is sown in peaceful conditions for those who are making peace.”—James 3:18.

Shun violence

“Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one; he hates anyone who loves violence.”—Psalm 11:5.

“Do not envy the violent man nor choose any of his ways, for Jehovah detests a devious person.”—Proverbs 3:31, 32.

 

  • Protection of the natural world

Regarding polluters of various kinds in ancient Israel, the Bible stated: “The land has been polluted by its inhabitants . . . Those inhabiting it are held guilty.” (Isaiah 24:5, 6) God will hold wanton destroyers of the environment accountable. He will “bring to ruin those ruining the earth.” (Revelation 11:18) They will not get away with their actions.

Family Happiness

 

Obey your parents

“Children, be obedient to your parents in union with the Lord, for this is righteous. ‘Honor your father and your mother’ is the first command with a promise: ‘That it may go well with you and you may remain a long time on the earth.’”—Ephesians 6:1-3.

Teach your children properly

“Do not be irritating your children, but go on bringing them up in the discipline and admonition of Jehovah.”—Ephesians 6:4.

“Do not be exasperating your children, so that they do not become downhearted.”—Colossians 3:21.

Love and respect your marriage mate

“Each one of you must love his wife as he does himself; on the other hand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband.”—Ephesians 5:33. (excerpts: Science has its limitations)

YES! most definitely i am affected…(by science & by the bible)…yes, it’s important to understand the workings of the natural world…and Yes, it’s important to understanding how to protect the workings of the natural world (i.e. peaceful relationships, and a satisfying way of living/doing that doesn’t endanger/kill life on the planet, etc.)!:)

PEACE to ALL…(affected any way)!!:)

Oh YEAH-lol…cannot forget to include excerpts/examples of the scientific relevancy of an ancient, non-science textbook, the Bible, then and now…(science facts way ahead of ancient times & way ahead of scientists of ancient times)…when ancient science was limited, what the Bible said was timeless/limitless. Please, check it out: (points from The Bible and Proven Scientific Facts)

Age of the earth and the universe

Scientists estimate that the earth is about 4 billion years old and that the universe was born some 13 to 14 billion years ago. The Bible sets no date for the creation of the universe. In no place does it affirm that the earth is only a few thousand years old. The very first verse in the Bible reads: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) That general statement allows scientists to determine the age of the physical world according to sound scientific principles.

Preparation of the earth for human habitation

Genesis chapter 1 uses the term “day” to set out the stages in the preparation of the earth for life in all its diverse forms. The culminating event in this simple description was the appearance of humans. The Bible fixes no duration for the six creative “days.” Instead, it opens the door for modern scientists to study them and assign accurate time spans to them. We know that the creative “days” were much longer than 24-hour days.

How the earth is suspended

The Bible describes the earth as suspended “upon nothing.” (Job 26:7) There is no mention of our planet resting on the shoulders of a giant or on the backs of elephants that stand on a turtle, as some popular myths of ancient times had it. Rather, the Bible leaves the door open to scientific discovery. In time, Nicolaus Copernicus and Johannes Kepler described how the planets move around the sun driven by an invisible force. Isaac Newton later showed how gravitation governs the movement of all objects in space.

Instructions on disease control and hygiene

The book of Leviticus contains the instructions given to the Israelites on how they were to avoid outbreaks of contagious diseases, including the practice of quarantine. And regarding sanitation, the law recorded at Deuteronomy 23:12, 13 ordered the Israelites to care for their waste in a private place outside their encampments. They had to ‘cover their excrement’ in the ground. It is only in the last 200 years that scientists and doctors have seen the need to set such standards.

 

For further related reading, please see: Boyle, Sagan: Scientific & Spiritual “Understanding” of Life Interdependency: Part 1 Tweeting Bird: Say What? aka Boyle, Sagan: Scientific and Spiritual “Understanding” of Life Interdependency Part 2 Boyle, Sagan: Scientific and Spiritual “Understanding” of Life Interdependency Part 3 Boyle, Sagan: Scientific & Spiritual “Understanding” of Life Interdependency: Part 4 Boyle, Sagan: Scientific & Spiritual “Understanding” of Life Interdependency Part 5

 

(word count 1585 published 6:05 p.m. 4/9/15)

Published by:
Breathing-Fragile-Life compassion Joan Winifred love science & spirituality

Family of Fragile Life

Racism is (a terrible topic) beyond my understanding/comprehension…probably because of my family upbringing and background/education. I was raised in a family where fragile life of all backgrounds/races/cultures were appreciated, accepted and loved. One race was never elevated over another. We all belong to the same race: HUMAN!:) (I was taught to treat Others from varying places/cultures/countries as my global brother or sister since childhood.) So, I’ve really been privileged to have many beautiful friends/family from all over the place…which I’ve learned/benefitted a lot from their various experiences/cultures.

Today, I was reading an article in Huffington Post about twins that look different http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/02/biracial-twins-lucy-maria-aylmer_n_6787294.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592...which, of course, got my brain/dendrites connecting to stuff/readings of the past on this topic of global family. For example:

Discoveries in genetics have confirmed the fallacy of racism. Researchers studying people from different continents have found that the differences in DNA between any two randomly chosen individuals from virtually anywhere in the world amounted to about 0.5 percent. * And 86 to 90 percent of those differences occurred within any one racial group. Therefore, just 14 percent or less of the 0.5 percent variation occurred between racial groups.

*The relatively few genetic differences between humans may, however, be significant medically, for some diseases appear to have a genetic link.

Because “humans are genetically homogeneous,” says the journal Nature, “genetics can and should be an important tool in helping to both illuminate and defuse the race issue.” (excerpted: AWAKE! 2009 We Are All One Family)

So, science combats racism…yet it persists (and why is that?)..science alone, obviously, is NOT enough to do away with racism! Brain/head knowledge/scientific fact is not enough. Here’s where spirituality/heart fact is significant in eliminating racism:

The heart, or the inner person, must also be reached. “Out of the heart come wicked reasonings,” said Jesus Christ.—Matthew 15:19, 20.

The Bible’s Viewpoint

The Bible was written to appeal to the heart. For example, in addition to stating the scientific truth that “[God] made out of one man every nation of men, to dwell upon the entire surface of the earth,” the Bible also says: “God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (Acts 10:34, 35; 17:26) Does that not warm your heart toward God?—Deuteronomy 32:4.

(Yahweh) Jehovah God wants us to show that we love him by becoming like him. “Become imitators of God, as beloved children, and go on walking in love,” says Ephesians 5:1, 2. “Walking in love” includes loving people as God does, regardless of their skin color or ethnicity.—Mark 12:31 (my highlights excerpted: AWAKE! 2009 article: We Are All One Family!)

How am i treating my family (fellow-fragile-breathing-life) today??

(IF we hurt family, we are ultimately hurting ourselves, eh?)

“All things . . . that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them.”—Matthew 7:12

Am i being Loving? Kind? Forgiving? Compassionate? Considerate? Respectful? Thankful? Helpful? Patient? 🙂

 

(published 3/3/15 @ 10:44 a.m.)

Published by:
attitude compassion heart Joan Winifred love science & spirituality

Atom Smashing IS Heart Healing

Books, books and more books. Authors, authors and more authors.

Clever humans can write books that only “wise and intellectual ones” can grasp. But to author a book that can be understood only by those having the right heart motivation—that takes the wisdom of God!—Matthew 11:25.

What is my heart motivation? (only i can “honestly” answer myself, eh?)

 The way in which the Bible is written serves to test what is in our heart. Hebrews 4:12 says: “The word [or, message] of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit . . . and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.”…

(to me, joanie, sounds like the ultimate atom smasher, eh?…to divide thoughts of the brain and intentions of the heart!)

When physicists first began using accelerators in the 1950s and1960s, they discovered hundreds of particles smaller than the three well-known subatomic particles — protons, neutrons and electrons. As bigger accelerators were built, ones that could provide higher energy beams, more particles were found. Most of these particles exist for only fractions (less than a billionth) of a second, and some particles combine to form more stable composite particles. Some particles are involved in the forces that hold the nucleus of the atom together, and some are not. In examining this complicated picture, a standard model of the atom has emerged.

According to this model, matter can be divided into the following building blocks:

  • Fermions – subatomic particles that make known matter and antimatter matter leptons – elementary particles that do not participate in holding the nucleus together (examples – electron, neutrino) quarks – elementary particles that do participate in holding the nucleus together anti-matter – counter-particles of quarks and leptons (anti-quarks, anti-leptons)
  • Hadrons – composite particles (examples – proton, neutron)
  • Bosons – particles that carry forces (four known types) excerpted: How Atom Smashers Work by Craig Freudenrich, Ph.D.

The Bible’s message pierces deep, revealing our true thinking and motives. Those who read it with a critical heart are often stumbled by accounts that do not contain enough information to satisfy them.

When you write a letter to a loved one, there is only so much you can include. So you use discretion in choosing what to write. Likewise, Jehovah God chose to mention certain individuals and events in his Word. But in these descriptive accounts, the Bible does not always spell out all the details. (John 21:25) For example, when the Bible tells of God’s judgment, the information provided may not answer our every question. Jehovah’s wisdom is seen even in what he chose to leave out of his Word. (excerpts: Draw Close to God, chptr 18: The Wisdom in the Word of God…my highlights)

Do i have to spell it/(smash it) out for Ya??;)

Love letters are usually understood by the people in love…the quarky…i mean quirky language, the nuanced words, etc., etc., the symbolism…basically, those with a pure/sincere/humble heart aka right heart motivation and o-p-e-n mind…understand the (deep) message of the Bible or aka the truth of its loving content/context (and benefit by its application)…which has been described by some as a letter of love w/instructions…(from a Heavenly Father to His Children) to help them grow to spiritual maturity/succeed/live long. They would then take this “heart” message of love/peace and share/show/demonstrate/teach TRUE love to all!:)

LOVE behaves/is: humble/patient/forgiving, etc.

What if we were to think that we are better than others because of our [..] abilities or privileges or because of the failures and weaknesses of others? We should quickly dismiss such thoughts, for the Scriptures say: “Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs; does not gloat over other men’s sins, but delights in the truth.”—1 Cor. 13:4-6, The New English Bible. (excerpt: Watch Out for the Leaven of the Pharisees)

What is the “quality”/(particles) of my love and what is it building/what is it smashing?!

(published 1/12/2015 @ 6:34 p.m.)

Published by:
attitude Joan Winifred science & spirituality

Breaking (bad/hard) bones without breaking bones: it’s Silly Putty!

bones, bones, bones…(may be? a boney -lol joanie is the “right” fragile-life/person to be discussing bones, eh?)
ever break a bone??  yeah!…as a kid in middle school…my left shoulder…had to wear a sling for a while. Shoulder? odd. (It’s all in the landing…baby.)

Engineering Connection-on-line excerpt:

When designing devices, engineers must understand how the materials that they select will react to the forces that the devices encounter. Since some materials are viscoelastic, engineers must know which materials these are and understand their behaviors. Bioengineers also study biological materials and how they function in healthy and diseased states. Biological materials are viscoelastic so bioengineers must understand viscoelastic behavior to fully characterize the behavior of these materials. As part of the process, engineers must also understand the environments in which their devices will operate to ensure effective and successful performance. For example, if designing a device to operate on viscoelastic materials in the human body, an engineer must understand and take into consideration how that environment will react to the forces imposed by the device.
Forces, devices, environment…viscous and elastic…stress, strain….silly, uh-huh…putty in your hands.  So, silly putty is fun to play with and useful. (My oldest daughter is the inspiration for this post…she made it the other day–all on her own.)
(You punch it–it hardens…You patiently/gently massage it and…it’s movable, flexible, pliable putty in your hands.)

i know, i’m (being) a “silly” 😉 girl making (corny) jokes out of important topics…seriously, we are living material…we all exhibit viscoelastic behavior…as fragile-life…(patience and gentleness is always necessary (and for effective communication)) and a little humor helps!

i LOVE this scientific and spiritual scripture:
A mild tongue . . . can break a bone.” Proverbs 25:15 
“Contrary to popular perceptions, mildness has strengthA mild answer, for example, can overcome opposition that seems as hard and inflexible as bone, perhaps because of anger or prejudice. To be sure, it can be a challenge to display mildness, especially in a heated situation. So think about the benefits of doing what the Bible says and the possible consequences of not doing so.”
excerpt: Wisdom of the Tongue
breaking bones (aka opposition, anger or prejudice)…”simple”, huh? Takes mildness, silly. 🙂
Published by:
Breathing-Fragile-Life Joan Winifred science & spirituality

Didn’t You know: Real People have Real Ribs & for tickling…sometimes.

Last time I checked: my ribs/cage are showing.

Well, real people have real ribs, right??…not just cause I’m skinny/tiny (physically). (Yes, I do eat…have made that moot point very clear in previous posts and am not starving!)

We agree, I exist as a real person who has real ribs; so, we must, therefore agree that: You, any reader, existing as a real person must have ribs, right?! Real people do have real ribs, right (correct)??

(Whether they are showing, broken or in tact: is not the point nor the focus of this writing about ribs -lol:)

{The focus: Real people who are living or have lived have real ribs. An accurate statement proven true by both: accurate science & accurate spirituality.}

Though, I hope, anyone reading this, that Your ribs are not broken nor showing due to starvation. And that life gives You a good laugh now and again! Who knows ? may be this post will tickle your ribs. 🙂

I found some recent “Science” recently published…did indeed tickle my ribs aka give me a little chuckle.

(Let me preface by saying: just cause I’m referring to this research doesn’t mean I agree with testing animals (& their ribs) even if the so-called animals are tiny mice.)

IF these recent researchers were, perhaps, Bible readers/Bible researchers would they find their findings funny/outdated?!…maybe, they wouldn’t need to test (rib regeneration) on animals?!

Science Daily reference:

Healing power of ‘rib-tickling’ found by researchers

In a new study in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, a team directed by USC Stem Cell researcher Francesca Mariani takes a closer look at rib regeneration in both humans and mice.

Using CT imaging, Srour, Mariani and their colleague Janice Lee from the University of California, San Francisco, monitored the healing of a human rib that had been partially removed by a surgeon. The eight centimeters of missing bone and one centimeter of missing cartilage did partially repair after six months.

To better understand this repair process, they surgically removed sections of rib cartilage — ranging from three to five millimeters — from a related mammal, mice. When they removed both rib cartilage and its surrounding sheath of tissue — called the “perichondrium,” the missing sections failed to repair even after nine months. However, when they removed rib cartilage but left its perichondrium, the missing sections entirely repaired within one to two months.

  1. Marissa K. Srour, Jennifer L. Fogel, Kent T. Yamaguchi, Aaron P. Montgomery, Audrey K. Izuhara, Aaron L. Misakian, Stephanie Lam, Daniel L. Lakeland, Mark M. Urata, Janice S. Lee, Francesca V. Mariani. Natural large-scale regeneration of rib cartilage in a mouse model. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2014; DOI: 10.1002/jbmr.2326

Insight on scriptures: Bones! reference:

Eve, the first woman, was formed from a rib taken from Adam. This was appropriate in view of the fact that bones are the body’s foundation, are wholly made up of living cells, and are blood-cell producers. Adam could truly say of Eve: “This is at last bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh.” She was the closest possible relative of Adam. (Ge 2:22, 23) A like expression is used several times in the Scriptures to denote close kinship.—Ge 29:14; Jg 9:2; 2Sa 5:1; 19:12; 1Ch 11:1.

The Bible says that the True God/Yahweh (Hebrew)/Jehovah (English) made the first man, Adam, from dust.

The book Nanomedicine states that the human body is made up of 41 chemical elements. These basic elements—carbon, iron, oxygen, and others—are all present in the “dust” of the earth. Thus, as Genesis states, humans truly are formed “out of dust from the ground.”

Adam & Eve Were They Real People? w /09 reference:

What of the description in Genesis that Eve was fashioned from Adam’s rib? (Genesis 2:21-23) Before dismissing the account as myth or fantasy, consider the following facts: In January 2008, scientists in California, U.S.A., produced the world’s first mature cloned human embryos from adult skin cells. In fact, using similar techniques, scientists have cloned at least 20 animals. The most famous of these, Dolly the sheep, was cloned in 1996 from the mammary gland of an adult sheep.

What will come of such experiments remains to be seen. But the point is this: If humans can use biological material from one organism to produce another one of its kind, could not the almighty Creator fashion a human from existing biological material of another human? Interestingly, surgeons routinely use the rib bone in reconstructive surgery because of its ability to regrow and replace itself.

Some people are surprised to learn that Adam and Eve are mentioned repeatedly throughout the Bible. What light do these references shed on the historicity of the Genesis account?

The question(s) I would ask: What scientific light does the Genesis account shed?? If scientists carefully studied the Bible, would scientists be way ahead of the times (Bible times that is)??

Personally, I find these “recent” (rib) scientific research findings/experiments, etc. laughable and OLD news…Any Bible reader/scholar knows: The BIBLE has been telling/teaching/explaining to man: albeit in simple terms …these basic life-building blocks aka ABC science stuff for thousands of years;)...and without harming animals!!

May be IF these scientific researchers accepted the Genesis Biblical account as scientifically accurate, they would stop wasting money & time/life: hurting/harming animals/breathing-fragile-life?

Real People with Real Ribs have a Real Right to have their Lives/Ribs…Respected! Oh & tickled, too:)

 

Published by:
cake Joan Winifred science & spirituality

R U Beyond the Scope of Science?

“The significance and joy in my science comes in the occasional moments of discovering something new and saying to myself, ‘So that’s how God did it!’”—HENRY SCHAEFER, PROFESSOR OF CHEMISTRY.

Where Science Is Limited

Many truths about God are beyond the scope of science. To illustrate, a scientist may be able to describe every molecule in a chocolate cake, but will his analysis reveal why the cake was made or for whom? For answers to questions like that—which most people would regard as the more important ones—he needs to consult the person who baked the cake.

Similarly, science “gives a lot of factual information,” wrote Austrian physicist and Nobel laureate Erwin Schrödinger, “but it is ghastly silent about all . . . that is really near to our heart, that really matters to us.” This includes, he says, “God and eternity.” For example, only God can answer such questions as the following: Why is there a universe? Why does our planet have an abundance of life, including intelligent life? If God truly is almighty, why does he permit suffering? And is there hope beyond the grave?

Yes, the Bible does harmonize with scientific truths about the natural world. In fact, the two fields of study are more than compatible—they beautifully complement each other. To disregard either one is to leave unopened a door to the knowledge of God.—Is Science & The Bible Compatible?

R U OPEN…ing doors?! & baking cake(s)?!..

Knocked, banged, pushed open a lot of doors in my day:)… and You find/learn different things/fragile-life behind different doors…

it’s unreasonable aka stupid to think: i would find/learn the exact same thing/knowledge behind different doors.

Accurate knowledge is YUMMY aka healthy for mind/body!

HEY! Where’s my chocolate cake??? (Who’s hiding it? & why?)

Mostly want to have my cake & eat it, 2…science 1. Spirituality!:)

Who made my cake for me?

A big heartfelt THANK YOU!:)

Published by:
attitude insights Joan Winifred science & spirituality

Backing Up

July 7, 2014 published 3:03p.m.

backing up

LIFE!🙂

Intriguing ?

Are there scientific errors in the Bible?

Myth: The Bible says that the universe was created in six 24-hour days.

Fact: According to the Bible, God created the universe in the indefinite past. (Genesis 1:1) Also, the days of creation described in chapter 1 of Genesis were epochs whose length is not specified. In fact, the entire period during which earth and heaven were made is also called a “day.”—Genesis 2:4.

Myth: The Bible says that vegetation was created before the sun existed to support photosynthesis.—Genesis 1:11, 16.

Fact: The Bible shows that the sun, one of the stars that make up “the heavens,” was created before vegetation. (Genesis 1:1) Diffused light from the sun reached the earth’s surface during the first “day,” or epoch, of creation. As the atmosphere cleared, by the third “day” of creation, the light was strong enough to support photosynthesis. (Genesis 1:3-5, 12, 13) Only later did the sun become distinctly visible from the surface of the earth.—Genesis 1:16.

Myth: The Bible says that the sun revolves around the earth.

Fact: Ecclesiastes 1:5 says: “The sun rises, and the sun sets; then it hurries back to the place where it rises again.” However, this statement merely describes the apparent motion of the sun as viewed from the earth. Even today, a person can use the words “sunrise” and “sunset,” yet he knows that the earth revolves around the sun.

Myth: The Bible says that the circumference of a circle is exactly three times its diameter, but the correct value is pi (π), or about 3.1416.

Fact: The measurements of “the Sea of cast metal” given at 1 Kings 7:23 and 2 Chronicles 4:2 indicate that it had a diameter of 10 cubits and that “it took a measuring line 30 cubits long to encircle it.” These dimensions might have been merely the nearest round numbers. It is also possible that the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively.

“Backing up”… a loaded phrase… means a lot.

(At times: involves extra working, efforts, vigilances, energies.)

Back(ING)up… can You?

Back up what You say & what You do &

Your life & life…

And IF You need “positive” change… are You willing to back up??

Backing Up takes You……………………………………………….. forward!:)

Published by: